Fireworks are often used to mark special events and holidays. However, they are not safe in the hands of consumers. Fireworks cause thousands of injuries each year. People can enjoy fireworks safely if they follow a few simple safety tips:
• Be safe. If you want to see fireworks, go to a public show put on by experts.
• Do not use consumer fireworks.
• Keep a close eye on children at events where fireworks are used.
NFPA is opposed to consumer use of fireworks. This includes sparklers and firecrackers. Even sparklers burn hot enough to cause third-degree burns.
- More than 16,000 reported fires are started by fireworks annually.
- Sparklers Account for roughly one-quarter of emergency room fireworks injuries.
nfpa.org/education ©NFPA 2017